Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion; diced extra fine
- 2 cloves garlic; well crushed
- 1 (4.5 oz) can diced green chiles; drained
- 1 (4 oz) jar pimentos; drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John (do not drain)
- 1 (15 oz) can Margaret Holmes Blackeye Peas; rinsed
- 2 (5 oz) cans premium chunk chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- flour tortillas for serving (if desired)
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Stir in garlic, chilies and pimentos.
2. Lower heat and pour in broth.
3. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally then add in the Hoppin' John and black eye peas.
4. Cook for 10 minutes then remove from heat and stir in lemon or lime juice.
5. Serve with flour tortillas, if desired.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
This recipe uses the following products: