Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion; diced extra fine
- 2 cloves garlic; well crushed
- 1 (4.5 oz) can diced green chiles; drained
- 1 (4 oz) jar pimentos; drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John (do not drain)
- 1 (15 oz) can Margaret Holmes Blackeye Peas; rinsed
- 2 (5 oz) cans premium chunk chicken breast
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- flour tortilla, for serving
- Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Stir in garlic, chilies and pimentos.
- Lower heat and pour in broth.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally then add in the Hoppin' John and black eye peas.
- Cook for 10 minutes then remove from heat and stir in lemon or lime juice.
- Serve with flour tortillas, if desired.
This recipe uses the following products: