- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. shortening or lard
- Using a colander, drain Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John very well, then place on paper towels to absorb any remaining liquid.
- Sift flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt into medium mixing bowl.
- In separate bowl whisk eggs, milk and butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
- Carefully fold in Hoppin' John.
- Heat shortening or lard in cast iron griddle over medium heat until shortening melts and ripples.
- For each cake pour 1/4 cup of hoppin' john mixture onto griddle – mixture should sizzle when it hits the griddle.
- Flip cake once edges are dry and griddle side is golden brown. Continue to fry until other side is lightly brown. If necessary add more shortening between batches.
This recipe uses the following products: