Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 white onions; halved & sliced thin
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Butterbeans; drained
- 4 slices large French baguette or 8 slices small diameter baguette
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss Cheese
1. Melt butter in a saucepan and add onions.
2. Saute for 15-20 minutes on low heat to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
3. Add wine and cook 5 minutes more before adding beef broth, bay leaf, thyme and garlic.
4. Simmer for 10 minutes then remove bay leaf, thyme and garlic cloves (discard).
5. Remove from heat and stir in butterbeans.
6. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
7. Brush bread with olive oil, place on a baking sheet and toast for a minute.
8. Ladle soup into the ramekins, top with toasted bread and sprinkle with cheese.
9. Place on even to melt cheese (about 3 minutes).
*If wine is not used, substitute with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook/ Bake time: 35-40 minutes
This recipe uses the following products: