Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion; diced
- 1 small red or green bell pepper; diced
- 1 stalk celery; diced
- 2 garlic cloves; crushed
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Tomatoes and Okra
- 1 (15 oz) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Blackeye Peas
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb small to medium frozen shrimp; defrosted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper and celery.
2. Saute (stirring occasionally) for 5-6 minutes then add garlic and creole seasoning.
3. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes before adding tomatoes & okra along with black eye peas and vegetable broth.
4. Simmer on low heat for 7-8 minutes then add shrimp and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and hot sauce.
6. Serve gumbo over white rice or corn grits, if desired.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
*Frozen shrimp is frequently on sale and very economical.
This recipe uses the following products: