Total Time: 25 minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (8 oz) container sliced white button mushroom
- 1 large carrot; sliced into thin circles
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (15 oz) can Margaret Holmes Diced Rutabagas
- 1/3 cup thick cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 (8 inch) French baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Manchego (or other hard, white cheese)
Directions (for Soup):
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add shallot, garlic, salt & pepper; saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes then add carrots; cook an additional 5 minutes.
3. Stir in broth; simmer on low for 10 minutes.
4. Add rutabagas; cook for 5 minutes more then remove from heat and stir in lemon and cream.
5. Ladle into 4 warmed soup bowls and sprinkle with vegetable seasoning and parsley.
Directions (for Bread):
1. To make cheese bread, heat oven to broil.
2. Slice off ends of bread then cut in half horizontally.
3. In a small bowl, smash together the butter, lemon zest and pepper.
4. Spread onto each half and broil for 2 minutes (watching carefully to avoid burning).
5. Cut each in half (you will have 4 pieces) and serve warm with soup.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes total
This recipe uses the following products: