- 2 (15 oz.) refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned (or Unseasoned) Collard Greens
- 1/4 cup finely chopped country ham (or crisp cooked bacon)
- 3/4 cup Parmesean cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, separated (divided usage)
- 1 tsp. water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and place oven rack at lowest position.
- Prepare 1 pie crust according to package directions.
- Drain Margaret Holmes Collards in a mesh drainer and colander, pressing firmly to remove excess liquid.
- In a mixing bowl combine well-drained collards, country ham, Parmesan cheese, sour cream, nutmeg, and egg yolk (reserve white for later use). Blend well.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared pie crust, smoothing top.
- To make the lattice top, cut remaining pie crust into 3/4 inch wide strips (a ruler helps). Arrange strips in a lattice design over collard mixture. Trim and seal edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and water until foamy; gently brush over the lattice crust.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack for about 45 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Cover loosely with foil during the last 5-10 minutes of baking if needed to prevent excess browning. Serve immediately.
This recipe uses the following products: