16 mini burgers
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans Margaret Holmes Blackeye Peas (drained)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups bread crumbs (divided)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Drain the Margaret Holmes Blackeye Peas and divide in half. Mix half of the peas in a large bowl with the onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, parmesan, eggs, flour, garlic, pepper, green onion, salt and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Mash until well blended.
- Fold in the reserved blackeye peas and mix thoroughly. Scoop out 1/4 cup of the mixture and form into mini patties. Repeat to make 16 cakes.
- Dip each patty into the remaining breadcrumbs to coat both sides.
- Heat half of the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook 6 to 8 of the cakes at a time, 3 to 5 minutes per side or until light golden brown and crispy on the outside. If the cakes are browning too quickly, reduce heat slightly. Drain on paper towels.
- Place on a mini whole-wheat bun with spicy mustard or remoulade. Top each with pepper jack cheese, chopped red onion, shredded lettuce and chopped tomato.
This recipe uses the following products: